Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 16, 2013

Dear Tatum,

Grandma had her colonoscopy today. She actually had two: one with a scope and the other a colonography. That's because, as Dr. Epstein explained, he couldn't finish the colonoscopy with the scope. This could be a concern, but we won't know until Monday, when he's asked us to call for the results. That seems like a long way away, but in the meantime he's given us a list of reasonable modifications to make to her diet. Basically, she needs a white diet: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, yogurt, etc. It is pretty close to the opposite of mine.

Grandma was pretty worn out from her day and a half of fasting and long morning of procedures. She was happy to have Pad Thai takeout for lunch when we got home, and spent much of the remainder of the day napping, which is not unusual.

I've made an appointment with an elder care advisor on Monday to look at a few foster homes closer to family. I've presented Grandma with the numbers: twice as much care for half the money at a foster home, and I think she is considering it. 

I have my own reasons for wanting Grandma to stay home: it is my refuge once or twice a year. The one place where I can stay in my pajamas all day and am encouraged to eat ice cream every night. A place to be loved and to relax. I have spent time with Grandma in the summer my whole life. If Grandma moves, there will be no more refuge.

Love,

Gin

No comments:

Post a Comment