Friday, July 12, 2013

July 8, 2013

Dear Tatum,

So dad and I were sitting in Grandma's living room with the door open and I heard a strange scream. I looked out the door and a seagull was swooping out of the neighbors tree with something in its... feet? I don't think seagulls have talons? But this one acted like it did because it had plucked something out of the tree--maybe a squirrel or a bird--and landed in another neighbor's yard with it. I walked toward the yard and the seagull flew off with its prey. I had never seen or heard anything quite like it (and I don't think I need to again). On further reflection, maybe it wasn't a seagull, but it was a big, vicious bird.


I've been spending a lot of time at the French Prairie with Grandma trying to figure out how to break her free, but at the same time I can see the value in her being there. I still think the place is horrible, but it's becoming more obvious that Grandma can't take care of herself. I spend my time contemplating what's best for her. While she is coherent, her memory is starting to fail her, and today as we drove to a doctor's appointment she tried to roll the window up by grabbing for the door handle. She just about opened the car door while we were driving. It was scary. 

I bought presents today for you and Rice. I hope to get it in the mail soon. I was looking through some old pictures and saw the one of your head in my lap and missed you terribly.  

Love,

Gin